Coconut Oil, Ketones and Alzheimer's

Monday, January 7, 2013

New Important Article on Ketone Ester from Dr. Richard Veech NIH


A groundbreaking research study of a ketone ester in an Alzheimer's mouse model was released for publication January 4, 2012 in Neurobiology of Aging by Yoshira Kashiwaya, M.D. and others in the laboratory of Dr. Richard L. Veech at the NIH in Rockville, Maryland. This study showed that, compared to animals fed a normal control diet, the Alzheimer's model mice who were fed the ketone ester (D-beta-hydroxybutyrate-(R)-1,3-butanediol) had significantly less amyloid and tau protein that form the plaques and tangles in the Alzheimer's brain, and the animals showed reduced anxiety, and improved learning and memory compared to the mice fed the control diet.

The Alzheimer brain in people becomes resistant to insulin beginning at least ten to twenty years before symptoms appear and this affects the ability of the brain cells to use glucose causing them to malfunction and die. It was discovered in the late 1960's in the laboratory of George Cahill, M.D. (now deceased) that the brain easily switches over to using ketone bodies as an alternative fuel during starvation when glucose supplies are used up. This new research is the culmination of decades of research that followed, and, for the first time, shows that ketones could lessen the changes that occur in the brain and also improve cognitive function in this disease. In addition to acting as an alternative fuel, ketones mimic some of the effects of insulin and are also anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is another key feature affecting the Alzheimer's brain.

Toxicity studies have already been conducted of the ketone ester in people showing there are no adverse effects and it has been approved by the FDA as "Generally Regarded as Safe (GRAS)". Funding is now urgently needed to mass produce this ketone ester and conduct human clinical trials.

A copy of the entire article may be obtained on my website at the top of the first page www.coconutketones.com.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • Thanks for the link Dr. Newport! Was this study published in Jan 2012 or 2013?

    By Blogger Cynthia, At February 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM  

  • Dear Mary,

    First of all, how is Steve doing? Your story is very inspiring.

    My father in law has very advanced alzheimer (he's 60 yrs old). When the family is gathered, it feels like he's never present. Like he is in his own world. Sometimes he gets upset. Sometimes he seems very calm.

    I read about you and your husband and I saw the video on youtube and I inmediately thought about my father in law and about my husband. I see my mother in law's suffering and fatigue because she knows that this disease has destroyed 38 years of mariage. I don't want my husband or myself to go through that. I want us to be healthy and not only that, I'd like to help my father in law as well.

    I understand that the funding is not enought for the research of Alzheimers, I wanted to ask you how someone like me could help. Is there a way to donate directly to the Institute for Dr. Veech? Do you know if anything has advanced regarding the funding?

    I'd like to help because I know how hard and difficult is to lose someone you love but having them physically present.

    I live in France with my husband but if there is anything we can do to help to get more people to donate, please let me know.

    Thank you so much!!

    By Blogger Marti Dos Santos, At March 8, 2013 at 3:52 AM  

  • acupuncture-sales.com Online sales of acupuncture needles, acupuncture equipment, kinesiology tape for kinesiotaping, massage oils and other medical supplies with a high quality standard at affordable prices. We are the leading European retailer for acupuncture professionals, physio & massage therapists.
    Pure mineral massage oil for professional use with Vitamin E. Suited for all types of massage in physical therapy.
    The oils does not contain conservatives, colour additives or perfumes.
    Made by asiamed, Germany.

    Content: 100% Paraffinum Liquidum with Vitamin E.

    massage products ( All massage products Here )
    Massage Oil
    neutral massage oil
    ayurveda massage oil

    By Blogger karimul Islam, At March 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM  

  • Very much agree with the above point of view.

    regards
    Tempe Massage

    By Blogger Absolute Vitality Spa, At May 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM  

  • This explanation can help us in the formation of good diet plan. Proper diet is one of the main factors upon those good health consist of.
    physical therapy Bergen County

    By Blogger Novak Jim, At October 2, 2013 at 2:43 AM  

  • Dear Mary,
    I have the same problem with mother
    and I would like to know, Is Steve still in good shape ? or this coconut oil is a temporary relief

    Thanks

    Moshe

    By Blogger Moshe Sharon, At November 14, 2013 at 5:08 AM  

  • Thank you! I can help you do something? I want you to put your information written books, (e-book) I'll help you issue, okay?

    My name: dorina huang

    dorina223@hotmail.com

    phone:778 892 2826

    By Blogger haody huang, At November 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM  

  • Thank you Mary for your wonderful book. Ilost my mother to Alzheimers in 2003, it was the saddest time of my life and for both of us. I have started taking MCT oil and coconut oil as a preventative measure. How much should I be taking daily

    By Anonymous Linda N, At June 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM  

  • Gear oil if you want oil products for your CNC products you can purchase from us.

    By Blogger Cnc Luffy, At September 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home